How Do You Get ME to Learn?
How do you get ME to learn when…
- I don’t want to or have a reason to care about what is being taught?
- You never stop telling us the answers, and sometimes we can’t hear them all as fast as you are talking?
- I know that if I struggle, you will help me finish my paper correctly?
- all you expect me to do is sit there and be quiet?
- I can simply “Google It” or “Ask Siri” to find the facts you are asking me to memorize?
- school is so boring?
- I have already learned half of what you are teaching me, but I won’t say anything because I would rather not stretch myself anyway?
- cooperative work really means chill with my friends, and copy each other?
- your feedback just gives me the right answers?
- you won’t call on me anyway because I didn’t raise my hand?
- you are so busy talking that you won’t notice if I take a brief nap, send a text, write a note, do my homework for other classes, or talk quietly with my friends?
- learning in school is really just an exercise in following directions?
- I am already so far behind that I am completely lost?
- I don’t know what you want from me?
- your teaching doesn’t make me think, be responsible, or own anything?
But please don’t change anything. I am a kid, and I like the idea of just having to show up for school, do what you tell me to, and hang around for 13 years and you will let me out. I don’t want the responsibility of learning and would prefer you to shoulder the burden because you are accountable for this stuff, not me.
Ok, Ok. This isn’t a real student, but it is a real message. How will we change our own behaviors to change this perspective? How will we help each other commit to change?